Latvia Launches A Self-Exclusion Scheme

Home » Latvia Launches A Self-Exclusion Scheme

Latvia’s self-exclusion system is now up and running, with residents being able to ban 12 months of gambling.
The registry was created under the Gambling and Lotteries Act, which is the responsibility of the Lotteries and Gambling Supervisory Authority (IAUI), which went live on 1 January.

Interactive and land-based gaming can be included in the self-exclusion. Latvians may send a written request to the regulator or to the gaming site in person or in writing.

In a statement, the IAUI said:

“The purpose of the self-denied persons register is to protect the public interest and the right of natural persons to refrain from unnecessary gambling practices, including interactive gambling, or interactive lottery participation. The restriction refers to participation in all formal gaming and digital lotteries. “The proposal is one of several initiatives introduced by the IAUI in an attempt to address the country’s problem gambling.

The body said in November that during its first four months, 127 individuals had received new, state-funded help from psychologists for customers impacted by gambling-related issues.

In the same month, the Latvian parliament approved plans to increase some of the country’s land-based gaming taxes, including the 2020 budget measures.

Slot machines, roulettes, cards and dice games will all be affected by the new laws proposed in October and coming into force on 1 January 2020.

The flat fee paid on each Latvian slot machine would increase from € 4,164 (£ 3,566/$4,602) to € 5,172. Furthermore, roulette and table games players will have to pay an annual fee of € 28,080 per gaming table, up from the current rate of € 23,400.

Parliament also signed off on plans to allocate additional gambling taxes and fees to the national budget of the country. Currently, 75% of these funds are collected by the state, with the other 25% being sent to communities where gambling facilities are located.

Source: https://www.igamingbusiness.com/news/latvias-self-exclusion-scheme-launched

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The following GDPR rules must be read and accepted:
This form collects your name, email and content so that we can keep track of the comments placed on the website. For more info check our privacy policy where you will get more info on where, how and why we store your data.