The coronavirus crisis continues to be a catastrophe for Nevada, and Gov. Steve Sisolak has come to the conclusion that a change in strategy may be needed. Following an August 3 press conference, the state of Nevada will take a hyper-local strategy to closing businesses, and small halls like bars seem like they will suffer the most.
The objective of this strategy is to allow areas where infections are not increasing to not get treated badly by the areas that are. Instead of the entire state closing down again, only the places with problems will.
With that in mind, bars, and bar top areas in Vegas and Reno will remain closed. That is going to have a great financial effect for restaurants that have had bar top slots installed.
This new approach is somewhat of a reset, Sisolak said, and “current restrictions for bars, pubs, and taverns will remain in place” till a first assessment under the new stratagem can happen. Slot machines in grocery stores, drug stores and convenience stores will still be allowed.
“I want to be clear, in no way are we relaxing our mitigation efforts,” Sisolak said. “We are taking a more strategic, aggressive approach that will target this disease where it is spreading and take action to stop it.”
In spite of reservations by Sisolak’s health officials, gambling operators will be allowed to continue business. “Shutting down public and economic activity around the state is not sustainable in the long-term,” Sisolak added. “The good news is by switching to a strategic targeted approach we can protect the health and safety of Nevadans while keeping our economy open.”
Restaurant slots, which are under the code of restricted gaming licenses, were asked to close in mid-last month as the state continues to try and keep a handle on COVID-19. However, with the state still recording about 1,100 new cases on August 2, with the majority in Clark County, the fight is still on.